Monday, August 20, 2007

Intervention

"Days like this....I don't know what to do with myself....all day.....and all night".
-Fiona Apple

I'm sure most of you have seen or heard about this A&E Documentary Special about addiction and recovery. I DVR it every week and it fascinates me. If you haven't seen it or have missed some episodes, check out www.aetv.com/intervention/. I think a main component of these episodes focuses on not only the addiction itself, but the complete effect it had on those who love that person. Its incredible that when a person has an addiction, they don't care about anything else. They're in denial, they lie about it, they avoid their loved ones, and they will risk everything to continue their behavior. And most of them are desperate to change, but can't.

"How can we comprehend the concept of a person that wants to stop doing something, and they cannot, despite catastrophic consequences...and yet they cannot control their behavior".
-HBO Documentary Series, ADDICTION.

In my case, although an intervention was certainly discussed by my family members, it was never carried out. And I needed one. But isn't it funny, that the selfish person that the addict is, seems to always explode on their family members at some sort of intervention. They get so angry, they feel betrayed, they attempt to run from it, and it is so typical to again attack those who are trying to help you when it comes to your addiction. We are too afraid to think of changing our behavior, in fact we don't think its possible. We are afraid, very afraid. Its so easy for somebody else to tell you too stop drinking or using- they don't have the illness. In ways, they don't understand.

My son was divine intervention. However, it could not stop me from starting the behavior again after his birth. So here I am. 10 days sober, didn't have any more money to continue drinking, and was emotionally at a bottom. I felt so useless, unmotivated, helpless, a total loser, an alcoholic. But my financial situation forced me to consider not drinking. Then I found Lushgirls blog, and something inside of me got strong- something clicked. I cried as I drove to Borders to get the Big Book, scared shitless at the thought of stopping, and took it day by day. I'm shocked I've been able to not drink for 10 days, considering I wanted to drink over the weekend- god, cravings suck. But I went to a women's meeting last night. They were so nice, I could have stayed there for hours. At the meeting I met a woman who was at a meeting for the first time and one day sober. I gave her my blog to check out since snooping on all of you really got me through those first couple of days. And writing down my feelings, and receiving your wonderful responses is such a emotional boost and gets me through the day. Today I feel better and now realize that this isn't going to be easy. In fact at the meeting last night, I was a little dismayed because women that were 18 years sober seemed to still have to live day to day, struggling. Does it ever get easier, will the urges ever go away? God, I pray that it does.

Today, I am grateful for:

My son,
My family,
A good nights sleep with no fear,
Having hardly any nightmares since I stopped drinking,
That I have had cash my purse for 10 days and haven't spent it on booze,
That I cleaned my rims this morning,
That I am going to visit my boyfriend tomorrow,
That I won't drink on the way there,
That I won't drink today,
That I am managing to fight off my urges to use,
That my life is in Gods hands.

19 comments:

sharonsjourney said...

Isn't that strange, how we want to change, but either don't see that we have to give up our addiction, or just plain don't want to. My sister & my mom told me the only way they would help me (yet again) was conditional on quitting drinking & going to AA. I had no choice, I was homeless.

I feel like I'm starting over, & getting sober with you, it's cool. I'm proud of you. Some of us lose our craving, but we have to continually work on our old behavour, beliefs, values, thinking, & acting. We developed coping mechanisms that don't work for us anymore. 'UNCOVER, DISCOVER, RECOVER'. That's pretty much what recovery is all about. Believe it or not, quitting our addiction is the easy part, but you have to do that first, & really, it isn't easy. You're on the ride of your life. Enjoy, it is well worth it. There are promises thruout the BB, & the steps, if you work for them. Hang in there, & don't give up before the miracle happens. The miracle is you on your new & wonderful path. We'll be with you every step of the way. Remember, it is a simple program for complicated people. It is simple, but it's hard work, & I know you're up to it! Keep On Keepin' On

Shadow said...

yeah, i still get that resentment at times of 'i can never drink again' and i get pissed at the people that can. and it's there every morning when i wake up. another day to go through without drinking. it gets mindboggling sometimes. but i've learnt that i must do the 1 day at a time thing, otherwise it will overwhelm me. we all have good days and bad days. fortunately the bad days do get less, and the intesity of them too. so stick around. you're doing so good. and the benefits far outweigh anything else. i'm just so glad i don't have that feeling to guilt to contend with anymore...

Shannon said...

I am so glad you are going to meetings too! 10 days rocks gurl! Keep going one foot infront of the other. I am soo glad you are blogging with us too. I am looking forward to reading more of you on your journey. Have a great day gurl!

Shannon said...

PS, I am soo glad you didnt drink yesterday! I am glad you figured out what was causing you anxiety, and sounds like you faced it head on.
Keep going to meetings, and keep on blogging.

Johna said...

Hey there thanks for the blog info last night. I think your blog is great!!! You are making the a great decision, if not for you, but for your son. He is beautiful!!!! I have three beautiful children and right now they deserve much more than I am giving them. I am having a bitch of a time staying sober. What is your secret? Keep up the good work and again thanks for your help. I was looking for a little more last night...like how to not take the first drink of the day, and what to do when I want to? I have a wonderful husband who supports me 100%, but he wasn't at his desk when I called. AAAHHH!!! I plan to go to more meetings and hopefully meet some more people like you who can help get me through. I know it is my responsibilty to get better, but right now I am not sure I am strong enough. You inspire me. Keep up the good work and take care of yourself.

Gooey Munster said...

AWESOME,

You see this is a battle that we do not fight alone. We get the gift of getting out of self and walking through fears that we use to deal with via the bottle.

Congrats on your 10 days +, what a miracle, keep coming back!!!

Krista said...

Johna, plz leave your email or your number so I can call you. I know what you mean about the meeting last night. For newcomers like us, and the fact that everyone knew we were new, I wish something could have been addressed to help us in our challenging decision to get sober. I know its hard, and I am having trouble myself dealing with cravings and such. Start a blog and write down your feelings, then I can respond to you directly. Or email me and then I'll call you. I guess this is not so easy, it takes a dedication and stength beyond what we know- it requires believing in something greater than ourselves. Stay strong and don't drink. We have to stop and can't drink. Talk to you soon. Stay strong.

Krista said...

Johna,
Other people I'm sure would like to lend their support, so include an email on your profile or start a basic blog.

My Name Here said...

Hey girl,

Back on the computer, the prob is fixed!! Thank God for that.
this battle, it is a lifelong one. At least from my experiance. I thought that I would one day be able to handle this, and the desire to use would go away. And one day, I actually thought I won. However, that same night, I relapsed. 2 yrs clean, and I actually thought I could win. For me, it is an everyday battle. When I can't make a meeting, I blog. All of these wonderful blogs, they help me so much. I love them.
I wake up, and the first thing I do is thank God for my family, and then I ask him, please, just for today--help me. And He does.
Hang in there--you are Rockin' so far. keep it up, you and your son deserve this. you are--as you have been since day 1--in my prayers.

Nic

Eileen said...

I used to wonder what people were talking about when they said that the first word in the first step is 'we'. 'We' are powerless...'. It wasn't until I stopped and listened at meetings that I learned that I cannot do this, but WE cann together. There were many nights that I was drinking (alone), feeling so alone and not realizing that I have the disease of alcoholism. There is an oldtimer at some of my meetings, I love the things that he says... 'I don't think I want to drink today, but maybe tomorrow I will'. 'Maybe I'm cured, I'll watch another person go out to do some research'. He has been sober for about 25 years now, just one day at a time.
There is a poem that we read in Toronto at AA meetings called 'Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow'. I'm going to try to send it to you. It helps me everyday to stay in today.
There really isn't anything that I can tell you that people haven't already said. There are no 'magic words' to make it all better. Sobriaty for me is a daily thing.
I watch 'Intervention' and it's a very well put-together show. I am also impressed at the end when they give updates on people who were on the show. Although I feel for those who relapsed, I am glad that Intervention does work for some but not all. I think it gives hope to those who are not yet reached.
I love how you are putting your gratitude list on your blog. It's amazing how well they work. Sometimes mine is short...'I can breathe, walk, hear, see, etc'. That's it.
Krista, keep up with your work in this. It is hard, no doubt, but the rewards are well worth the pain.

Eileen said...

Krista...
I was able to post 'Yesterday, Today, and Tomorrow' on my post. Please check it out, it is well worth the read.
Eileen

katherine. said...

you have some wonderful things in your life to be grateful for.

I'll check out the A&E show.

enjoy your visit tomorrow...

lushgurl said...

Krista gurl... look at you all strong and sharing and even helping a new(er)comer! Are ya starting to see why this program is so amazing? Look at all the love and support that come to us when we just reach out for help!
I apoplogize for not calling on the weekend, I will soon. I have come down with a cold that is knocking me right out- harder to heal when we're 'old', as my AAngel would say! Anyway, it seems that you have lots of love holding you up, me included!
The cravings for immediate drinking will pass, and they may return, but I have found that if I stay on the right path, the cravings get less intense, and less frequent. And as we get stronger, we know how to deflect our thinking better- just think, we have a fatal allergy to drugs and alcohol- ya wouldn't eat peanutbutter if you were allergic to peanuts- duh!!!
Love you gurl!

molly said...

I promise it DOES get better. Life will still be life with all its stresses and worries but you'll be able to handle it with clarity and confidence. Here are two books I HIGHLY recommend: "Drinking: A Love Story" by Caroline Knapp;

"First Year Sobriety: When All That Changes Is Everything" by Guy Kettelhack

They are great compliments to the Big Book. :) I got mine from amazon.com. You are doing GREAT.

Most of Martha Woodroof in one place said...

Just checking in. I've been thinking about you--sending you all the sober vibes I can muster. Sobriety is about much, much more than not drinking; it's about starting real life. And enjoying it! I cannot tell you how good my life feels now. Hug that baby for me.

Namenlosen Trinker said...

I guess you realize a lot of us are pulling for you, Krista. Ten days is miraculous! Hang in there, girl!

Eileen said...

Krista...
Thank you for your comments.
I never saw or really realized the day to day change in myself, but other people did. I was at a meeting last week and hadn't seen a woman in a long time, she was commenting on how I 'was' compared to how I 'am'. AA is truly a remarkable program, it's simple and it works (if you work it).
By the way, I am jealous that you have ssooo many comments, it's wonderful that so many are supportive of you!
Have a great day today.

Trudging said...

Congrats on the 10 days buddy!

pamela said...

I really appreciate your post. It can be extremely difficult dealing with addiction. Addiction affects adolescents just like it does adults.
drug rehab centers near me